The garden was originally set up to honour WWII servicemen and women, 23 of whom were New Zealand airmen who died while they were stationed in the town.
In 1954, Harrogate City Council presented Wellington with a gold mace crafted by a local jeweller. The mace is still used at Council meetings and on ceremonial occasions.
In August 2010, Councillor Ray Ahipene-Mercer, Wellington kaumatua Sam Jackson and June Te Raumanga Jackson travelled to Harrogate to reopen the newly refurbished gardens. They presented the borough of Harrogate with a pou whenua to incorporate into the new gardens.
In June 2012, Mayor Celia Wade-Brown made a courtesy visit to Harrogate.