Assistance on Way for Owners of Capital's Leaky Homes

29 July 2011

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown has welcomed today's announcement that the leaky homes Financial Assistance Package will be available for the city's home-owners from tomorrow, Friday 29 July.

"If affected home-owners opt in to the scheme, this Financial Assistance Package offers certainty that they can get their homes fixed, dry and healthy," said Ms Wade-Brown.

"Overall, less money spent on legal fees is more money that can be spent on fixing homes."

To date, Weathertight Homes settlements have been funded by the Council through a mix of proceeds from insurance cover and operating surpluses. The total cost of settling the weathertight homes issues is estimated to be $88 million for the Council.

Under the package, qualifying homeowners will receive a 25 per cent contribution from the Government and may receive 25 per cent from their local council. The contributions will be based on actual repair costs.

As of 30 June, there were 353 properties that had building consents issued by the Wellington City Council with active claims, according to the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service.

"For many home-owners in Wellington affected by this issue, this announcement means that should they choose this option they can get some resolution on an issue and move forward with their lives," said Wellington Deputy Mayor Ian McKinnon.

"I urge Wellingtonians who are affected to access the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service through the Department of Building and Housing:

Department of Building and Housing website

"It's important that people investigate the details immediately and we really encourage as many Wellingtonians as possible to investigate the benefits of this scheme," he said.

Wellington City Council was the first city to accept the Government's leaky homes package in May last year, and the Council was instrumental in negotiating the development of the scheme.